Re: Debian/Stretch: how to boot in text mode

Ennio-Sr composed on 2017-02-01 21:21 (UTC+0100):

After upgrading to Stretch I'm unable to find a way to boot with no GUI.
I tried setting 'GRUB-GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text" in /etc/default/grub,
moving to 'K01gdm3' all 'S??gdm3' instances in /etc/rc?.d, but nothing
happens.

You haven't provided your meaning for "text mode".

Greg and Michael's replies answer how to stop booting to a GUI login manager.

If instead what you wish is to avoid seeing any GUI effects, but do want to see boot messages from kernel and scripts as init proceeds, you need to ensure they have not been turned off by quiet or splash parameters on the kernel cmdline. Also, Plymouth may have been installed, which is a more sophisticated form of GUI splash during boot. Maybe all you need to do is purge Plymouth, and/or eliminate quiet and/or splash from your kernel cmdline (purge them from both GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in /etc/default/grub, then run update-grub).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/