Re: Debian/Stretch: how to boot in text mode

* Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> [010217, 16:08]:
> Ennio-Sr composed on 2017-02-01 21:21 (UTC+0100):
>
> > After upgrading to Stretch I'm unable to find a way to boot with no GUI.
> > I tried setting 'GRUB-GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX="text" in /etc/default/grub,
> > moving to 'K01gdm3' all 'S??gdm3' instances in /etc/rc?.d, but nothing
> > happens.
>
> You haven't provided your meaning for "text mode".

What I ment was to receive (after booting) a login prompt in tty1 console;
then, if and when I need it switch to a new tty and call 'startx'
Michael's reply was perfect: it did exactly what I wanted ;-)

> Greg and Michael's replies answer how to stop booting to a GUI login manager.
>
> If instead what you wish is to avoid seeing any GUI effects, but do want to
> see boot messages from kernel and scripts as init proceeds, you need to
> ensure they have not been turned off by quiet or splash parameters on the
> kernel cmdline. Also, Plymouth may have been installed, which is a more
> sophisticated form of GUI splash during boot. Maybe all you need to do is
> purge Plymouth, and/or eliminate quiet and/or splash from your kernel
> cmdline (purge them from both GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= in /etc/default/grub, then run update-grub).

I'll keep in mind your suggestions: for the time being I'm not sure I
understand them well.

Many thanks to you all (Greg, Michael and youself) for the rapid and
efficient answers.
Regards, Ennio

P:S: I'm answering your message from mutt (in a console) from my laptop
as I messed up with postfix on main PC and my messages are being bounced
by the list. Now I've got to understand how to solve this new problem...

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.   \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"  (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)