Re: apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r) downloads incorrect version

	Hi.

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 20:43:17 -0600
David Wittman <dwittman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Danke, Sven.
>
> > 3.16.0-4 is *not* the kernel version but the ABI name used.
>
> I feel dumb for asking, but the output of uname is not the exact kernel
> version I'm running? That seems contradictory to everything I've learned
> and read... including what I just read here[1]:
>
> > Kernel version
> > This is the version that appears in kernel messages, filenames, package
> names and the output of 'uname -r'.

Handbook lies. uname(1) says that '-r' means 'kernel release' aka ABI,
and '-v' is the kernel version. And then in doubt you always trust
manpage, not book. Compare this:

$ uname -r
3.16.0-4-amd64

to this:

$ uname -v
#1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1 (2016-12-30)

And as Sven said, they name kernel packages after the ABI ('release'),
not specific version.

Reco