Re: The connections resets after some time.

Hi, Henrique.

On 24/01/17 13:37, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

>> It's very weird. The cablemodem does not lose Upstream and Downstream
>> synchronization, but nevertheless I see that the established connections
>> are lost (for example, instant messaging, SSH, or HTTP, to mention a few).

> Are you under any sort of stateful packet filtering device (L3+
> firewall, NAT/CGNAT gateway, anti-virus device)?   Inquire your ISP.
>
> Such devices can _and do_ cause this sort of issue when they hit
> resource limits of any sort (such as going over peak capacity of
> connection setup/teardown rate, throughput, etc), or during failover,
> etc.
>
> It could also be caused by link or routing problems in the ISP backbone,
> backhaul, and even in the Internet border itself (ISP to ISP eBGP
> links).

Very interesting observations. Thank you! Below I add the news.

>> I do not know if it will be related, but on 05/01 there was a service
>> interruption between 09.25 and 11.35. After the service was restored, I
>> noticed that I was changed from CMTS 10.94.0.1 to 10.96.0.1. Maybe some
>> problem in configuring this CMTS?

> It could be an issue in the ISP's backhaul or backbone, yes.  In that
> case, it might be limited to this CMTS, or to a network region, or even
> to large sections of the ISP's network.
>
> Ask people you know that use the same ISP in your neighborhood and also
> elsewhere in the same city, that might give you extra data on the extent
> of the issues.

At 12.37 GMT-3 I detected a restart of the cablemodem. After verifying,
I see that I am still in the same CMTS 10.96.0.1. I telephoned the
Support area of the ISP to ask if this reboot was linked to some change
(for example, some adjustment in the parameters of the binary that
receives the cablemodem) but they did not know. I was told that they
will ask the technical area for an update. So far everything seems
stable, although I would like to know what they changed, if they touched
something. I will keep it under observation and call again tomorrow.

>> Thinking that this could be because it changes the public IP, I checked
>> the log of a script that I have to update against Afraid DNS service.
>> But several days ago the IP does not change so that does not seem to be
>> the problem.

> What is your ISP's AS number, please?  If you don't know, please look it
> up by connecting with a browser to http://bgp.he.net.

Very interesting site. This is the AS number:

http://bgp.he.net/AS27984

>> What do you think? Will it be a problem of the Internet provider?

> From the data you provided, it certainly looks like a problem in either
> your ISP's network, or their upstream ISPs.

Thank you very much for your interest and your time.

Kind regards,
Daniel