Re: hostname drops off between remote sessions

On 01/23/2017 08:38 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:48:19PM -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:
I rent a VPS from Contabo, in Germany (as if the location were
relevant), which is still running wheezy.
Lately, when I access it (generally via ssh) the hostname appears to be
changed to (none).

Edit (or create) the file /etc/hostname with the hostname that you want.
Then reboot, or use the command "hostname yourhostname" (as root) to set
the hostname.  (But really, you probably want to reboot, to make sure any
daemons that read the hostname at startup get a valid hostname.)

Thanks, Greg,

Perhaps it is these Daemons that are not doing their job(?), because I'll set the hostname (as root with "hostname $myhostname", or editing /etc/hostname, I've done both), and on reboot, it returns to (none). That's what I'm writing about. I've since determined that it does NOT change from one ssh session to another, unless I've had to reboot in between, so what's happening is the hostname is NOT being set on reboot, even when /etc/hostname is still intact with the proper hostname in it.

Tony

--
http://tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time