SDDM doesn't start

Debian unstable w/KDE, all patches applied.

When I boot the machine, I get a console rather than X. I see the
following in ~/.xsession-errors:

klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
The X11 connection broke: I/O error (code 1)
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 260379 requests (260379 known processed) with 0 events
remaining.
QDBusAbstractAdaptor: Cannot relay signal
KDEDModule::moduleDeleted(KDEDModule*): Pointers are not supported:
KDEDModule*

The "cannot relay signal" message is repeated numerous times.

If I issue "systemctl restart sddm", the desktop comes up normally. This
is repeatable; it happens on every boot and restarting sddm always
brings up the desktop.

I had the NVIDIA drivers running, but removed them in favor of nouveau.
lsmod shows that nouveau is loaded. This didn't make a difference.

How can I diagnose and correct this?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)