Re: Help Installing a Dual Boot Debian and Mac OS MacBook Pro 9,1

On 22 January 2017 at 15:41, solitone <solitone@mail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:08:59 PM CET Michael Fothergill wrote:
> you need to play with the bios on your Mac box to get it to boot from the
> debian DVD.

The point is that, in contrast to all other PCs I had, on Macs you cannot
enter the BIOS setup and configure the boot order. You have to press the
"Option ⌥" key while powering on the Mac. That will allow you to enter the
Startup Manager, where you'll see a list of all bootable devices available,
and choose the one you need (e.g. a bootable DVD-ROM).

​I think the discussion here seems illuminating:​

​You want to use a installation with efi support so apparently the Debian Live option is not recommended because it doesn't support efi booting.

The standard installation iso files do.  If the efi installer fires up it will apparently identify itself as such when it does so.

If you boot the Mac and choose option C in the start up mode that is supposed to try to boot up DVD iso files etc but the article suggests this could fail if the efi driver isn't loaded - the rEFInd utility solves this problem it seems.

Apparently you need to convert the iso file into an image format.

It's probably easier to install Debian on an IBM 390.

Cheers MF