Re: Help Installing a Dual Boot Debian and Mac OS MacBook Pro 9,1

On 01/21/2017 11:43 AM, Rafael Lauda wrote:
Good Afternoon,

My name is Rafael Lauda and I’ve tried time and time again to install a dual boot Debian on my MacBook Pro 9,1. I have installed rEFInd on my MacBook Pro, and I have installed the iso image for Debian 8.7.1 1 onto a DVD-R. When the computer is turned on the dvd does not show. I had also partitioned space on the hard drive as well. I don’t want to settle for another Distro, I want to install Debian as I feel it is the best Distro currently using the Linux kernel. I’m not the most tech savvy but I have been putting the effort into becoming more computer literate. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for making a wonderful Distro and with any help you may have for me.

Best Regards,

Rafael Lauda

Hi Rafael

I'll tell you the same thing I have told others about dual boot systems. Don't do it. I had nothing but fits with dual boots. Instead load Oracles Virtual Box (open source), learn how to set it up and then install Debian on that. If you don't like it, un-install Virtual Box and everything goes Poof. In addition, you don't have to worry about a grub loader and other such esoteric things. There is absolutely no interaction between the two OS's.

One thing. You will have to set up a file folder that is shared between the VB OS and your regular OS. It allows file transfer between the two systems. Try that with a regular dual boot setup!

Good luck

Gary R.