Re: Memory Upgrade for Ancient Enspiron 2600

On 01/18/17 22:02, Doug wrote:

On 01/19/2017 12:01 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:
I gave Dell the service tag number and found that this model can
only hold 512 MB maximum and I was able to contact a company that
is shipping two 256 MB modules. One is the easy one, the little
door in the bottom near the battery. The other is the fun one,
called the factory configurable slot under the keyboard.

For most Dell laptops, there is a service manual. See if there is one
for this model, and download it. The manual I used for my machine
was very useful--it specifies the exact series of procedures you need
to run to get at any particular module in the machine. Then you don't
have to guess and maybe break something.

The Service Manual can be downloaded from the support page I posted
previously:

On 01/18/17 12:04, David Christensen wrote:
Here is the Dell support page for your Inspiron 2600:

> http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-2600/manuals

Dell provides step-by-step instructions for removing and installing every part in their Service Manuals. The service manuals are one of the reasons I will purchase and work on Dell products.

Read "Before You Remove or Replace Parts" on p. 6. You're going to need the right tools (see p. 7). I also recommend an anti-static wrist strap and anti-static work practices. Don't touch any electrical contacts (if you do, clean them with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol). Vacuum out the dust while you have the case open. I find it useful to put parts into zip-lock baggies with a Post-It note identifying where they came from.

"Removing the Memory Module/Modem Cover" starts on page 77. Follow the links to other pages as you encounter them. Re-assembly is usually in the opposite order of disassembly, but I haven't read the procedures for your machine in detail.

If you want to upgrade the CPU, you might want to do that at the same time you have the case open for the internal memory module. Use a credit card and/or plastic or wooden tools to remove old heat sink compound (steel tools will damage aluminum parts).

Follow Dell's and the heat sink compound manufacturer's instructions carefully and you should do fine. Post here if you have any questions.

David