Re: Memory Upgrade for Ancient Enspiron 2600

On 01/19/2017 12:01 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:
Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> writes:
Hi Martin,

How much memory does the Dell Inspiron 2600 Series Laptop take?
I gave Dell the service tag number and found that this model can
only hold 512 MB maximum and I was able to contact a company that
is shipping two 256 MB modules. One is the easy one, the little
door in the bottom near the battery. The other is the fun one,
called the factory configurable slot under the keyboard.

	Getting to this second slot is not terribly hard  as it
appears that the keyboard and touch pad panel will come off or
at least raise up but there is one last hurdle which I am trying
to jump without breaking something.

	The bottom edge of the screen exactly hides the last two
screws. You can't move it to any position which will expose them.

	The hinges and screen work fine and I want to keep it
that way but it looks like if one could temporarily take the
hinges loose from the screen, it would probably move enough to
take out the last two screws.

	I have been googling to find out if there is a way to
temporarily take the screen out of the grasp of the hinges and am
running in to the usual mechanized help syndrome of people who
want to sell you services and tons of articles about the wrong
models of Dell.

	I also know that one or both hinges probably also pass
the screen's electrical cables so whatever one does to the hinges
must be done with care to keep from cutting or damaging those
flex cables.

	Otherwise, I'm mostly there.

	When I do get it upgraded, it should run Debian as I have
gotten systems to run it on 384 MB without gnome.

Thanks for any suggestions. In a previous life, I repaired AV
equipment in the eighties and the hinge problem is very similar
to a few others I have dealt with in that there is probably a
trick that makes all the difference between making things worse
and fixing it. Those screws do have to come out.

Martin McCormick

For most Dell laptops, there is a service manual. See if there is one for
this model, and download it. The manual I used for my machine was
very useful--it specifies the exact series of procedures you need to run
to get at any particular module in the machine. Then you don't have to
guess and maybe break something.

--doug, WA2SAY