Re: Memory Upgrade for Ancient Enspiron 2600

On 01/18/2017 08:28 AM, Martin McCormick wrote:
Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> writes:
Are you sure? I searched for "inspiron 2600 RAM" and found lots of hits on
dell.com and elsewhere.

	Thanks to you and all others who responded.

    has 256 MB of RAM. I am of the understanding that the 128-MB
    memory card under the little door on the bottom can be replaced
    with a 512 MB card and that pretty much does it. There is another
    128 MB block under the keyboard but I think for what I was
    planning to do with it, 640 MB is sufficient.

From what I saw you'll need to do more investigating. It looks to me like
that model might be limited to 512M in total only in the form of two 256M
SODIMMs.

	That is certainly a possibility. This version of the 2600
has one and only one socket under the door which is above and to
the right of the battery compartment and that card is  presently
128 MB. I don't know yet if the other 128 MB of RAM is soldered
right to the board under the keyboard or if it can also be
removed when excavated.

	My next task is to checkout Dell's web site. We did write
down the service tag numbers and all the numbers on the memory
module. It sounds like it is worth checking out how much of an
upgrade is practical with this system.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ

Hi Martin,

How much memory does the Dell Inspiron 2600 Series Laptop take?

You can upgrade your Dell Inspiron 2600 Series Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 512MB Memory.

How many total memory slots to install memory?

The Laptop has 2 sockets (1 user-accessible, 1 factory configurable) to install memory, already with 128 or 256MB (non-removable) standard memory installed. For best Inspiron 2600 Series Laptop performance use the maximum amount of 512MB, fill all the slots with the max allowed memory per slot for your Laptop.

http://www.dellmemoryram.com/dell-laptop-ram/DellInspiron2600Series.html

You can run a small footprint linux system, Puppy has an upgradeable Ubuntu system and it's super-fast, plus there are many options using Debian, but Puppy is an expert at usable small footprint systems.

regards,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - Plasma 5.8.4 - Kernel 4.8.0-2 - EXT4 at sda24
Registered Linux User #380263