Re: reportbug and remapped "edit"

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:15:35AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> In other words, I think the OP could do a similar thing (start a
> subshell with edit unaliased) entirely in zsh.

$ (unalias edit; reportbug)

I'd be very shocked if that doesn't work in zsh.  It works in all the
Bourne-family shells.  (Fails in csh, but nothing about "fails in csh"
should surprise anyone at this point.)

However, I am still extremely confused about why an interactive shell
alias (in ANY shell) would affect the operations of reportbug.  Does
reportbug run "edit" in a $SHELL of the user's choosing after sourcing
all of the user's dot files?  Or is this some bizarre zsh thing?

Normally I would expect a program to use the user's $EDITOR or $VISUAL
environment variable to decide which editor to run.  I would also not
expect aliases to be defined at that point.