Re: reportbug and remapped "edit"

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 11 Jan 2017 at 22:38:48 (-0500), kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> Just unalias the alias corresponding to edit (the one you set up in
>> ~/.zshrc) before launching reportbug. After that set it back. IIUC
>> there is no need to launch a bash subshell to do this. You can do
>> everything while you are in zsh.
>>
>> So the sequence of commands would be
>>
>> % unalias edit
>> % reportbug &
>> % alias edit='emacsclient -c -s /tmp/emacs1000/server'
>
> If you're going to do it that way, you've really got to
> interrogate the old value and restore it afterwards, rather
> than having edit defined in two places. Otherwise, how do
> you keep them in sync.
>
> Most people wouldn't run reportbug often enough to worry
> about a subshell, would they?

There are always multiple ways to solve a problem often with different
advantages/disadvantages. I do not have a problem with subshell per
se. My point is that the previously proposed solution requires OP to
start a different shell (i.e. zsh users starting bash). What is to
assume that there is no such alias defined in ~/.bashrc?

Little bit of a side note: I work on systems where my home directory
is mounted across multiple machines. On different machines I use
different shells. To keep my aliases synced across all these machines,
I place all my aliases in a separate file and source that file in
~/.zshrc, ~/.bashrc etc.,

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog