Re: Fresh install gives no graphical login

Tama McGlinn composed on 2017-01-09 17:10 (UTC+1300):

I hope you can help me with a problem I've been experiencing since Debian
Jessie; After doing a new installation, debian boots, but only presents me
with a tty1 login screen, and no graphical session started.
That you reached this point means you have a successful installation that is simply incomplete for your needs, which means specifically how you are creating your installation media hasn't been a material issue.

Depending on which desktop environment you are used to using, you might wish to try TDE, which is a mature fork of KDE3, reliable and far less demanding of the hardware when KDE5 or other newer DEs like Gnome. Once you can login on any tty and have network working you can add whatever is missing, including any of the standard Debian DEs/WMs, only of which I ever install, and only rarely use (IceWM). My standard Debian installation produces what you see, after which I install TDE.

	https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall
 > Here's what I've tried so far:

-Different versions of debian: netinstall vs full CD, with and without
live, with and without nonfree, amd64 or i386 (it's an i7 I'm trying to
> install to;

How old is this target PC? Could it be new enough that a standard Jessie is too old to support it? If so, give Stretch a try It's fairly well along the path to release.

I've done lots of googling and found many people asking how to
tell architecture type, but no real answers, so I'm going to stick with my
guess that amd64 is for 64 bit computers, and i386 is for 32 bit computers,

As far as you went, correct. More specifically, i386 is for any 32-bit Intel "386"-compatible CPU (e.g. Pentium III, Pentium IV, Athlon XP, etc.) while amd64 is for any 64-bit AMD64-compatible CPU, which includes late Intel Pentium IV, Intel Core series, and i3/i5/i7 series like you have.

-Searching for other people with this problem; just a few results: Tried
`startx` and `xstart` - programs don't exist. `grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log`
that file does not exist on the fresh install, it does on all my other
debian jessie installs which do work.

Which DE(s) are those other installs running? Mate? Plasma? Gnome? XFCE? Which processors are those machines using? Do you know which DE you do want?

I hope someone here can help me; the documentation is not very clear on how
to "write the iso to usb" and I suspect that is what I have done
incorrectly in this case.

Again, I think how you've gone about creating installation media has nothing to do with the incomplete installation result you've experienced. More likely this is either a case of hardware newer than the Jessie version of Debian supports, or a successful minimal installation that simply needs more work to complete, either as I suggested above, or as Floris suggested hours ago in thread, by using tasksel.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/