Failure searching forfile known to exist

Environment: Jessie with Mate DE
Background: Doing an atypical install of SeaMonkey using the generic Linux version.

I could not remember where "profiles.ini" was stored. As my reference information was on another system, it appeared easier to use the search function of the file manager.

I chose "file system" as starting point and entered "profiles.ini" in the search bar.
No success whether logged in as a normal user or as root.

The file DOES exist.
the complete path is
/home/richard/.mozilla/seamonkey/profiles.ini

A little experimentation demonstrated that the apparent trigger was that the target file was in a "hidden" folder. As the file manager preferences were set to display hidden files and folders, I expected search to actually SEARCH!

Is this a bug or a "feature"?
Is there a work-around?

TIA