Re: Fresh install gives no graphical login

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> One of the bells and whistles kde hasn't got is anything approaching a
> screen reader that works as well as orca does in gnome/mate.  So for the new
> users out there who have never seen anything in this life kde is a no go
> unless I'm quite wrong about this and in that case I really would like to
> know how to get screen reading up and running on kde and where the
> documentation for it is on the internet.

If I understood you correctly, you are saying one should not recommend
KDE for new users because it does not have a screen reader? I disagree
with that type of logic unless there is an apriori information from
the OP that having a screen reader is one of his requirements. Blindly
assuming that every person needs a screen reader is more often wrong
than right.

Anyway, I did some digging and found that the task-kde-desktop package
recommends gnome-orca. That means if you install task-kde-desktop it
will pull gnome-orca, so you should have a working screen reader
within KDE.

 % apt-cache show task-kde-desktop | grep -i recommends
Recommends: kdeaccessibility, gnome-orca, k3b, k3b-i18n, plasma-nm,
kdesudo, libreoffice-kde, apper, gimp, firefox-esr | firefox,
libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us, hunspell-en-us,
hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer, dragonplayer

hope that helps
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog