systemd requires "plymouth" on server? (was: Systemd: no error but "maintenance mode")

Hi,

I think I found some more information.

In short:
"Failed at step exec spawning /bin/plymouth: no such file or directory"
but I have no clue why it is suddenly missing or suddenly required.
I found postings in the internet that simply installing plymouth seems
not to solve this issue.

What can I do about this?
Any hints appreciated.

In detail:
Google suggested "systemctl status". This shows "State: maintenance",
"Jobs: 0 queued", "Failed: 0 units" and some output looking like
pstree which tells me nothing.
Why "maintenance" when there are no fails?
Is it true that logging, debugging and troubleshooting still is not
implemented correctly in systemd?

"systemctl --failed" shows "0 loaded units listed". According to man
page the command is supposed to list failed units, not loaded units,
so I'm not sure what is true. 0 fails would be good, 0 loaded probably
be bad. It could explain why I don't get syslog messages.

I also found the command "journalctl -p 3 -xb". man page tells
something about a so-called "system journal". Man page references some
desktop stuff (freedesktop.org) and seems to be related to systemd as
well (seems all my recent issues are systemd issues -  hope it dies as
fast as upstart). Man page of systemd-journald.service suggests
systemd invented an own wheel called syslog which does not write to
/var/log? Man page mentions /var/log/journal/ files, but no such
directory exists.

"journalctl -p 3 -xb" shows some information in red color, in reverse
order assuming the later the more important:
1) "r8169 firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw"
but eth0 is state UP, so should be fine. At least I should get a
normal local login prompt.

2) "Failed at step exec spawning /bin/plymouth: no such file or directory"
Google suggest this is some graphical whatever, so I think it would be
a bug if found on a server

3) "Dependency failed for local file systems"
sounds bad, but all file systems are there?

4) "Depencency failed for /mnt/grace"
/mnt/grace was used to mount a USB disk and of course the system must
not depend on it

5) "TImed out waiting to device dev-disk-by-\x2dlabel-Grace.device
I guess "\x2d" is just a funny systemd way to write "-".
This probably is the cause for 4) and 5).
I have no idea why systemd waits for this disk at all. As it noticed
it is not even connected. I assume this is systemds replacement of USB
automouter and that it is safe to ignore it.

So only problem I can see is missing /bin/plymouth. Could it got lost
during apt-get ugrade? Shall I install it? I hope I don't need
graphical whatever, can it be disabled?

Steffen