Re: systemd requires "plymouth" on server?

Steffen Dettmer <steffen.dettmer@gmail.com> writes:

> 2) "Failed at step exec spawning /bin/plymouth: no such file or directory"
> Google suggest this is some graphical whatever, so I think it would be
> a bug if found on a server

No, plymouth is not *just* graphical. It is needed for the cases where
you need to provide a password on boot, such as when you have encrypted
volumes or a KDC with no master password stashed.

As I understand it, because systemd starts everything in parallel as
much as possible, it is possible that the password prompt is no longer
available by the time systemd has stopped firing off startup jobs.

A better explanation here:

http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/blog/Plymouth_is_not_a_bootsplash/

And finally, can you please tone down the hostility to systemd a bit?
The flamewars have quietened down, and the tone of your posts is likely
to fire them up again.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.