[´Solved] Re: More info, still urgent :-) [was: Re: Urgent help needed - Debian boot hangs]

I received the following private reply.  Since it says "and all others" I am
sending it to the list!  (with the subject header taken from my private
reply)

Glad you got it solved, Hans.

Lisi
Hi Lisi & all others,

Am 08.01.2017 um 13:09 schrieb Lisi Reisz:
> On Sunday 08 January 2017 09:56:34 hans@hanswkraus.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've found a monitor which was able to display the Grub menu. In the
>> "Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux" I found the entries:
>>
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (sysvinit)
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 (sysvinit)
>> Debian GNU/Linux with Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)
>>
>> Each of them insists on starting the network. Is there any remedy?
>
> sysvinit should start without the network eventually if there is a problem
> with the network (after a short delay), and recovery mode ought not to start
> the network. So are you quite sure that they all insist on starting the
> network?  By which I take it that you still mean that it won't start without
> it.
>
> Lisi

Yes, I am sure. I waited for both the the sysvinit and recovery mode for
approximately half an hour. Both got stuck at the network part.

I found the problem: I added the line: "iface eth0 inet6 dhcp" to
/etc/network/interfaces (I found somewhare on the net that this is a
good idea and my router has an IPV6 address). This gave all the
troubles.

The troublesome stanza:
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet6 dhcp
# iface eth0 inet static
#       address 192.168.1.100
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
#       gateway 192.168.1.20
#       # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
After correcting it to:
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
# iface eth0 inet6 dhcp
# iface eth0 inet static
#       address 192.168.1.100
#       netmask 255.255.255.0
#       gateway 192.168.1.20
#       # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
The system works again.

To do this I booted the system via a Debian Jessie Live-DVD, added
lvm2 and started it (the root system is on an Adaptec HW Raid), mounted
the root and editet '/etc/network/interfaces'.

Many thanks to all who have helped & kind regards,
Hans