Re: NTFS access on Debian boot

David Wright composed on 2016-09-15 23:42 (UTC-0500):

> On Thu 15 Sep 2016 at 23:42:22 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Felix Miata composed:

When I wrote that originally, I followed it with:
# mount | grep eblk
/dev/sda6 on /win/C type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)
# ls -gG /win/C
-rw-rw-rw- 1 1648193536 Aug  5 03:52 hiberfil.sys
-rw-rw-rw- 1 1476395008 Aug  5 03:52 pagefile.sys
-rw-rw-rw- 1  268435456 Aug  5 03:52 swapfile.sys

Do note that mount reports rw.

> That's the type of mount I posted in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/09/msg00488.html
> but I think it limits you to readonly, which suits me.

I booted W10 minutes ago, without noticing anything unusual. Then I restarted
into Jessie to find those three files with new timestamps at previous sizes.
Next I deleted the two larger, following that up by disconnecting the ethernet
cable and booting W10 again, again without noticing anything unusual, not that
I'd notice what would be "unusual" about running W10. About the only things I've
done with W10 is allow it to update, and open Edge to see what it looks like.

> If you (noone is reading this, are they?) decide to go for read-write access,
> it might pay to look at "Windows hibernation and fast restarting" on
> http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/
> which is one of several reasons I don't bother with it. I just don't
> trust M$ to allow anything outside their realm to work properly.

I went to that site, then did as it suggested, opened an administrator command
prompt and ran powercfg /h off. Following that with "dir /ah \", hiberfil.sys
is not listed. Its absence seems confirmed by restarting into Jessie. While in
Jessie, I touched linuxWroteThis while in /win/C, wrote 7 ASCII characters into
it, then restarted into Windows, and opened it with Wordpad. Then I selected
all 7, copied, and pasted, all with mouse. Enough time on Windows for this
month; restarted into Jessie, then shutdown.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/