Re: Gnome 3.21: how to define compose key?

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 19:46:03 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 09/13/2016 04:40 PM, David Wright wrote:

> >> Don't know what you are not seeing. Here's what I wrote—and what I do see—
> >>
> >> one-half, one-third,  three-eighths, copyright symbol, degree sign
> >> after 75, Greek letter mu meaning micro before F (for Farads), cent
> >> sign after17.
> > Oh good, someone who uses these! Can you help me with how you use the
> > last of these characters:
> >
> > ⅓ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞ ⅟
> >
> > It doesn't say it's a combining character and I can't find any
> > denominators anyway to go with it.
> >
> > (For those people using fonts having qualities other than a wide
> > repertoire, they're the thirds, fifths, sixths and eighths followed
> > by a solitary 1/ numerator.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
> >

> Dave, I'm not sure, but I don't think you can write a number greater than 8
> in this system.  I just tried to create one-ninth, but was unsuccessful.
> Perhaps someone smarter than me has an answer.
>
> BTW, there is at least one free Windows app that will give you just
> about the
> same system--it's called (surprise!) WinCompose. Google it if you use
> Windows.
> I only use Windows for some audio things that Linux kinda bombs on.
>
> --doug

I've been using the right menu key (between R-ALT and R-CTRL) to compose for some years now

degree (°): <R-MENU> o o
mu (µ): <R-MENU> m u
elipsis (…) <R-MENU> . .
½ ⅓ ¼ ⅕ ⅙ ⅛ <R-MENU> 1 [2 3 4 5 6 8]
copyright (©) <R-MENU o c
trademark (™) <R-MENU> t m
paragraph (¶) <R-MENU> p !
not equal (≠) <R-MENU> / =
circled #24 (㉔) <R-MENU> ( 2 4 )
Spanish letter after 'n' (ñ) <R-MENU> ~ n
superscript 0 (⁰) <R-MENU> ^ 0
U with umlaut(?) (ü) <R-MENU> " u
em dash (—) <R-MENU> - - -

Look in /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose for the definitions. Not all of them work. Some (many?) may require keyboards capable of generating more than ASCII. But there are a lot of common uses (such as European 'diacritics').

These usually require programs that display UTF-8.