Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lisi Reisz" <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 3:58:01 PM
Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Tuesday 13 September 2016 18:24:07 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 September 2016 08:57:19 Alan McConnell wrote:
> > Warning:  This E-mail is for the most part in the nature of a pushback
> > against various insinuations that have been made.
>
> Now I am going to push back Alan.
>
> If you are going to come in here and berate folks about this and that,
> the first thing you need to do is to train your email agent
>
> (wth is "X-Mailer: Zimbra 7.2.6_GA_2926 (ZimbraWebClient - GC46
> (Win)/7.2.6_GA_2926)" never heard of it)

https://www.itg.ias.edu/content/logging-zimbra-web-client
       Interesting that the IAS uses Zimbra.  I've been after Paul Heller for years
       to get rid of Zimbra, a huge clunky webmail interface, and I only use it when
       when my home Debian install is, for some reason, not functional.  I apologize for
       Zimbra's inadequacies, failure to produce '>' as my home mutt so nicely does.

It isn't an email client, and obviously can't do threading and quoting and
things.  Alan clearly doesn't understand them, just as he doesn't understand
what the word "solved" means.  Hint for Alan:  it doesn't mean the same as
kludged.
       Sorry, I do know what 'solved' means, and I do say that _my_ problem is
       solved.  But my solution, as I've said over and over again, is not one that
       I can give to people who are running a dual boot system at my urging.

> to properly quote, and honor existing quotes, if for no other reason than
> to help us identify who wrote what.  That is what all those leading >
> and >> > are all about. It is also part of the email protocol that has
> existed since the late 80's of the last century.
       Absolutely!  I couldn't agree more.  When I get Jessie running properly on
       my new Dell I'll have my emacs put in quotes as they should be.  But I don't
       know how to do it on Zimbra, which, I'll repeat, is a foul piece of SW.  For
       now I'm indenting my replies.  I hope all your mail readers respect my
       indentations; I have a suspicion that some of them don't.

       Re Royal Holloway: boys were added in 1966, a year before my time there.  But
       there were always male faculty there, especially in math, which subject has,
       most unfortunately, suffered from a dearth of qualified women.  This is beginning
       to change: the AMS puts a lot of effort in supporting women and departments
       supporting women.

       More perhaps tomorrow.  I have tasks to perform before bed.  But maybe someone
       can tell me why the installer can't look at the partitions and determine that there
       is some kind of OS already installed?  Why does it have to know about Windows 10 to
       behave sensibly?  "Curious minds . . . "

Best wishes,

Alan