Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Mon 12 Sep 2016 at 14:14:53 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> From: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
> How is it beneficial to list anyone here or searching list archives to
> continue a thread by chastising an OP for being imperfect more than 12 hours
> after OP added string "solved" to the subject and thanked people who provided
> useful help?
>           <LOL>  Hurrah for Felix!  He got it.

You are both on the same page, then. Keep together and ward off the
people who ask questions or request information. It will give you a
cosier world.

>           I don't know what I have to apologize for.  Did I say anything impolite?  I'm not
>           conscious of having done so.  Maybe I should apologize for
>           "hijacking a thread"?

Was anyone at all impolite?

>           As Felix and maybe a few others have noticed, I can now log on to either my Windoze
>           or to Jessie, which is what I originally inquired about.  I persist in thinking
>           that the procedure I am using is cumbersome, and I hope

You are quite correct - the procedure is cumbersome. In fact, it is
naff. But you have it as a "solution" and are happy with it and do not
want to alter it. Who are we to argue and try to seek a technical
solution?

>           that a new release of installation SW will a) be sure to detect another OS during
>           the installation, and b) will ensure that grub puts a good notice/question up on a
>           beginning screen for people to click on(or perhaps use the arrow keys) to indicate
>           which OS they wish to boot.

We are working on it. Debian Central has realised that there are holes
in its installation for some users with names beginning with "Alan". A
fix will be sent out when we have dealt with Abarrane.

Meanwhile, follow the advice on -user. You seem to have ignored most of
it.
>           To conclude this topic:  the folks who think I'm rude or uncooperative or both clearly
>           have the option to ignore in future anything/everything that I write.  I hope they
>           will take advantage of this option.
>
> Now I have a follow-on question:  I'd like to be able, from Jessie, to copy files to and from my
> Windoze system.  I haven't really tried simply cd-ing to e.g. /dev/sda1, which is the partition
> containing my Windoze stuff.  Is that what you dual OS users do?  is there some subtle   mount
> command  that you use?   I shall be most grateful for any instructions, or even suggestions.

Follow-on questions go in different threads. It keeps things tidy and
manageable. Please start a new one on this topic.