Re: Systemd and Init was Problems communicating with and between servers after upgrade - correction

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:32:52PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> However, studying documentation on systemd v init, I'm a bit confused. I
> assumed the reinstall would implement systemd for all services and init
> wouldn't be visible although symlinks will use init where necessary.
> systemd-sysv is installed as per the Debian wiki.

Most of the common server-oriented packages in jessie have systemd
units written for them.  E.g. openssh-server:

~$ dpkg -L openssh-server | grep systemd
/lib/systemd
/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.socket
/lib/systemd/system/ssh@.service

However, there are still several packages that were not updated to use
systemd facilities in time for jessie.  These packages still ship with
sysvinit scripts.

When a given service has sysvinit script and does *not* have systemd
unit files, it falls back to the sysvinit scripts.

> Looking at other setups on the net, a ps aux should assign the first
> process (1) to systemd but on server_M it is /sbin/init
>
> Is this right?

The kernel still runs /sbin/init because the systemd changes are not
intrusive all the way up inside the kernel.  Thus, the kernel does not
know or care which init system you're using.

On a jessie-systemd (default) installation, /sbin/init is a symlink:

~$ ls -ld /sbin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar 12  2016 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd