Re: Systemd and Init was Problems communicating with and between servers after upgrade - correction

On 12/09/16 19:57, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 07:32:52PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
Most of the common server-oriented packages in jessie have systemd
units written for them.  E.g. openssh-server:

~$ dpkg -L openssh-server | grep systemd
/lib/systemd
/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.socket
/lib/systemd/system/ssh@.service

However, there are still several packages that were not updated to use
systemd facilities in time for jessie.  These packages still ship with
sysvinit scripts.

When a given service has sysvinit script and does *not* have systemd
unit files, it falls back to the sysvinit scripts.

Thanks Greg

That makes sense. Does this mean init will disappear from Debian in a future release?

It is interesting that you gave ssh as an example because we seem to have encountered strange problems with mixed IDE/SATA systems: specifically ssh, samba and dovecot.

The first server(U) we reinstalled (twice) seemed to exhibit samba and dovecot communications problems with some clients (but it was complicated by problems we later discovered on those) after the first reinstall. The second time, we changed the system disk from IDE to SATA (making it exclusively SATA) and it cleared most of the client communication issues.

We reinstalled serverM on SATA, similarly the communications problems disappeared.

The working back up server is all SATA but the "broken" one isn't; it's IDE for the system, and software RAIDed SATA for the data. We've ordered another PCI SATA card to change it.

Has anyone else seen this?

Regards

Clive

--