Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time

On Sat 10 Sep 2016 at 11:40:28 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> > Boot your install medium - enter rescue mode - reinstall grub?
>          I tried Rescue Mode.  Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I got thrown into
>          "Chose language", "Choose Keyboard" . . . just as if I were doing a fresh
>          install.  ? ? ?

You noticed what was in the top left-hand corner of the screen?

> But I don't need that.  I played with the BIOS a little, and now I boot automatically

Yes, you need it - definitely. Persevere. Keep going and eventually
you'll get to a page where you can reinstall GRUB.

> into my new Jessie.  I am busy installing stuff and getting stuff off of backups, etc . .
> But I'd still like to be asked, right after I turn the machine on, which OS I'd like
> to boot.
>
> My present /boot/grub/ directory contains minimal stuff:
>      fonts/ , grub.cfg , grubenv , i386-pc/ , locale/ , unicode.pf2
>
> But when I run    apt-cache search grub  , it shows me a lot more stuff that I
> could install.  So I ask again, this time from a position of being able to install
> and configure  grub , how do I do it, and make it give me a good clean choice of
> OS when I turn my machine on in the morning?
>
> I hope that this is the place to ask; or is there an E-list full of grub experts?

They'll tell you to reinstall GRUB and run the command 'update-grub'
from rescue mode. You can ask about this if you are stuck when you get
rescue mode going.