laptop power management

I'm using an old 32 bit laptop (Samsung N120) running Debian testing; up
until recently I've been able to configure it so when I close the lid it
turns off the screen, but leaves the laptop running.  With a recent
update (possibly this morning, but I couldn't swear to it) I'm not able
to do this any more -- when I close the lid, the laptop suspends.

I'm using xfce, with power management through xfce4-power-management.
At this point, I've got it configured so that the power, sleep, and
hibernate buttons are all set to "do nothing" and the laptop lid is set
to "switch off display" for both battery and AC power.  The power
manager seems to be active, as when I turn on "handle brightness keys" I
can adjust brightness, while I if I turn that off I can not.

The current version of xfce-power-management is 1.4.4-4.  I've tried
both going back to 1.4.1-1 and forward to 1.6.0-1 with no difference.

To the best of my knowledge I have no screensavers or screen lockers
installed.

Any thoughts where I should look?