Re: mount MTP phone

* On 2016 04 Sep 22:53 -0500, Neal P. Murphy wrote:
> Oh, wait. (Grasping at a straw...) Do you need pkg usb-modeswitch?
> There are some USB NADs (Network Access Device) for which udev uses
> usb-modeswitch to switch from the default mode that presents the
> Windows drivers in a filesystem to a different mode (such as, on a
> cellular modem, that allows one to use it somewhat like a
> modem). Windows handles the switch automatically, but Linux needs
> usb-modeswitch and udev.

I've yet to try it myself but I do know that my Motorola XT-901
(Electrify M) Android phone will come up as a removable drive under
windows so that one can download and install the Windows software for
accessing the phone's file system.  Running that software permits
switching the phone into an MTP device.

Likewise, plugging the phone into a Linux desktop causes it to be
connected as a USB mass storage device and nothing else.  At least it
used to as I now use the AirDroid app to access the phone over the LAN
with more functionality than MTP offered, as I recall.

- Nate