Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On 2016-09-02, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> In theory, the server could react to a TCP disconnect, but that won't
> tell it which part of the stream was received and which wasn't, so in
> practice, XMPP servers don't even care to check for a TCP disconnect
> error in order to detect a possible message loss.
>
> For SIP, in my experience, if I'm not connected when an SIP message comes
> in, the SIP server just drops the message silently.

You might want to look into a sneakernet by Avian Carrier; not
instantaneous by any means, but tremendous throughput can be achieved
(latency remains high, however).

Waitzman's work on the matter was, as you might be aware, seminal:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149

Good luck.

--
"I always say to people, ‘No one earns $100 million. You steal $100 million.’
People earn $10 an hour. People earn $40,000 a year. ‘Earn’ means work. Okay?