Re: Dual boot. Ubuntu update removes Debian GRUB.

On Fri 02 Sep 2016 at 10:53:47 -0400, Stefan.schultz19.5.1991 wrote:

> Hello Debian support team,

Hello Stefan,

The rest of the team are out of the office relaxing in the Northern
Hemisphere Autumn Sun, so it is just me. I expect they will appear when
it gets cooler and they start to feel guilty about leaving me alone.

> Brian at <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> asked a question about my question 2.
>
> > 2/ Is there a Debian approved GRUB boot customizer? I can't find one
> > mentioned anywhere.
>
> Please say what you mean by "boot customizer"?
>
> I did find a GRUB customizer at this link...
>
> http://www.linuxserve.com/2015/05/how-to-install-grub-customizer-406-in.html
>
> If software is not approved by Debian, is it safe to use? It certainly
> looks very good. A useful utility for dual boot?

It is not a matter of whether we approve of any software but whether it has
been packaged for Debian and is in our archives; it doesn't look like
grub-customizer is. There are choices on Debian on what to do about that
because we do not wish to restrict what you use. However, it becomes a little
involved so, as a newcomer. you might want to take the following advice.

We would suggest you do a search with "grub-installer ubuntu PPA" on the
internet. Then boot into Ubuntu and enable the PPA for grub-installer in
/etc/apt/sources.list. See how it behaves and whether it is worth
having.

> I'm a new open source convert!

Welcome to the land of a 1,001 configuration files.