Re: Problem source verified -Re: Jessie (8.0) slow to boot

Am 01.09.2016 um 16:44 schrieb David Wright:
> On Thu 01 Sep 2016 at 13:11:22 (+0100), Darac Marjal wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 07:02:14AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> On 8/31/2016 11:25 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I believe this justifies a bug report against the installer.
>>> My expected behavior would be to check to see if a swap area
>>> already exists before "creating" a swap partition. Especially
>>> since replacing a swap partition can break a previously
>>> functioning install in a multi-boot situation.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> I think that sounds sensible. A swap partition should be considered
>> scratch space, and its contents only relevant to the
>> currently-booted OS.
>
> I disagree. If you want to share swap space, then you've got to
> take appropriate action yourself. The easy way is to LABEL it in
> /etc/fstab rather than UUID it, unless you like reading and typing
> long strings of hex.

Well, you can assign labels, but this won't help you. As soon as you
install a new system on the same hardware, the (debian)-installer will
reformat your existing swap partition and the label will be gone along
with it. I've run into this myself a couple of times.

This has been the case forever basically. The only difference was, that
sysvinit didn't care, and you simply ended up with your system having no
swap partition set up. Systemd is much more picky in that regard (and
rightfully so, imho).

I think treating an *existing* swap partition like a non-empty partition
and not reformatting it by default would be right thing to do.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?