Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 21:10:54 -0500 David Wright sent:

> On Sat 06 Aug 2016 at 09:31:06 (+1000), Charlie wrote:

> > > Yes, that's normal behaviour. It is, of course, a race because you
> > > might not make it all the way to the desired location.
> > >
> > > Sometimes fvwm can get tripped up itself. When I start X, I map
> > > 22 xterms on the 20 pages (xterm terminology). Occasionally, the
> > > first xterm will map on Page: 0 0 before fvwm has managed to
> > > switch to Page: 4 3 (I map them in turn from bottom right to top
> > > left).
> > >
> > > The tool that allows me to map so many so quickly is xtoolwait,
> > > for which I still have to run the squeeze version.

> > > That sounds as if you're using    Style * ManualPlacement
> > > which requires you to click to place the window when its frame
> > > appears (tethered to the cursor). I used to use that years ago but
> > > prefer   Style * TileCascadePlacement   nowadays.
> > >
> > > Applications can dodge being placed manually if thy specify their
> > > own geometry specifically.
> > >
> > > But I thought I would point out one detail in the workaround I
> > > gave. In the lines
> > >
> > > + I All ('*Mozilla Firefox*') PipeRead '/bin/cat
> > > ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-firefox'
> > > + I All ('*Chromium*') PipeRead '/bin/cat
> > > ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-chromium'
> > >
> > > the string is a pattern, so the asterisks at each end allow for
> > > the frequent changes in the Window Title that occur as you
> > > navigate the web. (You probably only need to first *.)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > David.
> >
> > 	After contemplation, my reply is:
> >
> > Thanks for your help David and others for letting me know I'm not
> > alone in this. It's very much appreciated.
> >
> > Unfortunately, though I use FVWM I don't understand much about it
> > and am not certain where I should place what you have offered
> > above. But, other FVWM users, I am certain, will know.
> >
> > Demonstration of my ignorance about FVWM:
> >
> > New machine, format hard drive, install Debian testing. Install
> > packages individually as I need them.
> >
> > Need and download FVWM then an FVWM configuration and remove and
> > tweak and try and, get what I like without knowing what I'm doing.
> >
> > An instance is ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook is never read. Don't know how
> > to get it read when the X server starts.
>
> I'm not sure what you downloaded as "an FVWM configuration" into your
> home directory. You could start with, for example, the version in
> /usr/share/doc/fvwm/examples/system.fvwm2rc.Debian.gz by zcat-ing it
> to ~/.fvwm/config which should read ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook (at line
> 2307 in jessie's version).
>
> > Some upgrades change the /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook, which
> > is read. The Debian menu no longer being created or read or
> > whatever.
> >
> > So just quickly copy my ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook
> > to /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and restart fvwm and am working again
> > with the Debian menu as I like it.
> >
> > A task, yes, but simple enough.
> >
> > It will however, demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm doing.
> [...]

Thanks David,

I would like to try it and see how I go with it. Like you
wrote, I think in this thread: there are plenty of configurations of
FVWM out there and I have tried a few.

The one I use is the Debian standard I think? Some small tweaks, tested
each time with a restart FVWM, to see how it looks/works. [laughing]

According to top:
charlie   20   0  169192  15524  12384 S   0.0  0.4   0:05.25 fvwm

Uses 00 CPU and only 0.4% memory so everything works rather quickly and
I like it.

Brevity is not something near and dear to me, so in short, yes thank
you.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	The first thing you learn in life is you're a fool. The last
	thing you learn is you're the same fool. Sometimes I think I
	understand everything. Then I regain consciousness. -RAY
	BRADBURY

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.