Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:47:43 -0500 David Wright sent:

> On Thu 04 Aug 2016 at 23:17:08 (+1000), Charlie wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 07:29:23 -0500 John Hasler sent:
> >
> > > Programs do sometimes open in other viewports......
> >
> > 	After contemplation, my reply is:
> >
> > Until now, I have never had a program open in a different viewport
> > from where it was opened, unless...........
> >
> > Brought up and clicked on a program and before it could open, moved
> > my mouse cursor onto a different viewport and/or desktop before the
> > program/package had opened.
>
> Yes, that's normal behaviour. It is, of course, a race because you
> might not make it all the way to the desired location.
>
> Sometimes fvwm can get tripped up itself. When I start X, I map
> 22 xterms on the 20 pages (xterm terminology). Occasionally, the first
> xterm will map on Page: 0 0 before fvwm has managed to switch to
> Page: 4 3 (I map them in turn from bottom right to top left).
>
> The tool that allows me to map so many so quickly is xtoolwait, for
> which I still have to run the squeeze version.
>
> > So after opening a program on a viewport that I had just had another
> > program finish opening. I would click on another program, and
> > before it opened, move the cursor to the desktop and viewport where
> > I wanted it to open and click on it, and it would open in that
> > location. However, that is by design. It opened exactly where
> > required.
>
> That sounds as if you're using    Style * ManualPlacement
> which requires you to click to place the window when its frame
> appears (tethered to the cursor). I used to use that years ago but
> prefer   Style * TileCascadePlacement   nowadays.
>
> Applications can dodge being placed manually if thy specify their
> own geometry specifically.
>
> But I thought I would point out one detail in the workaround I gave.
> In the lines
>
> + I All ('*Mozilla Firefox*') PipeRead '/bin/cat
> ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-firefox'
> + I All ('*Chromium*') PipeRead '/bin/cat ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-chromium'
>
> the string is a pattern, so the asterisks at each end allow for the
> frequent changes in the Window Title that occur as you navigate
> the web. (You probably only need to first *.)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

	After contemplation, my reply is:

Thanks for your help David and others for letting me know I'm not
alone in this. It's very much appreciated.

Unfortunately, though I use FVWM I don't understand much about it and
am not certain where I should place what you have offered above. But,
other FVWM users, I am certain, will know.

Demonstration of my ignorance about FVWM:

New machine, format hard drive, install Debian testing. Install
packages individually as I need them.

Need and download FVWM then an FVWM configuration and remove and tweak
and try and, get what I like without knowing what I'm doing.

An instance is ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook is never read. Don't know how to
get it read when the X server starts.

Some upgrades change the /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook, which
is read. The Debian menu no longer being created or read or whatever.

So just quickly copy my ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook
to /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and restart fvwm and am working again
with the Debian menu as I like it.

A task, yes, but simple enough.

It will however, demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe
something to do with dumbness as I left school at age 14 years of age
and didn't touch a computer till I was 52 years old as I am a
peasanto, a man of the land.

So thank you for your help and taking the time to offer it. Though I'm
unable to do anything with it, I'm certain others will.

Be well,
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	In the midst of this chopping sea of civilized life, such are
	the clouds and storms and quicksands and thousand-and-one items
	to be allowed for, that a man has to live, if he would not
	founder and go to the bottom and not make his port at all, by
	dead reckoning, and he must be a great calculator indeed who
	succeeds..................Henry David Thoreau

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.