Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Sat 06 Aug 2016 at 09:31:06 (+1000), Charlie wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 12:47:43 -0500 David Wright sent:
>
> > On Thu 04 Aug 2016 at 23:17:08 (+1000), Charlie wrote:
> > > On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 07:29:23 -0500 John Hasler sent:

> > > 	After contemplation, my reply is:
> > >
> > > Until now, I have never had a program open in a different viewport
> > > from where it was opened, unless...........
> > >
> > > Brought up and clicked on a program and before it could open, moved
> > > my mouse cursor onto a different viewport and/or desktop before the
> > > program/package had opened.
> >
> > Yes, that's normal behaviour. It is, of course, a race because you
> > might not make it all the way to the desired location.
> >
> > Sometimes fvwm can get tripped up itself. When I start X, I map
> > 22 xterms on the 20 pages (xterm terminology). Occasionally, the first
> > xterm will map on Page: 0 0 before fvwm has managed to switch to
> > Page: 4 3 (I map them in turn from bottom right to top left).
> >
> > The tool that allows me to map so many so quickly is xtoolwait, for
> > which I still have to run the squeeze version.
> >
> > > So after opening a program on a viewport that I had just had another
> > > program finish opening. I would click on another program, and
> > > before it opened, move the cursor to the desktop and viewport where
> > > I wanted it to open and click on it, and it would open in that
> > > location. However, that is by design. It opened exactly where
> > > required.
> >
> > That sounds as if you're using    Style * ManualPlacement
> > which requires you to click to place the window when its frame
> > appears (tethered to the cursor). I used to use that years ago but
> > prefer   Style * TileCascadePlacement   nowadays.
> >
> > Applications can dodge being placed manually if thy specify their
> > own geometry specifically.
> >
> > But I thought I would point out one detail in the workaround I gave.
> > In the lines
> >
> > + I All ('*Mozilla Firefox*') PipeRead '/bin/cat
> > ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-firefox'
> > + I All ('*Chromium*') PipeRead '/bin/cat ${HOME}/.fvwm/move-chromium'
> >
> > the string is a pattern, so the asterisks at each end allow for the
> > frequent changes in the Window Title that occur as you navigate
> > the web. (You probably only need to first *.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
>
> 	After contemplation, my reply is:
>
> Thanks for your help David and others for letting me know I'm not
> alone in this. It's very much appreciated.
>
> Unfortunately, though I use FVWM I don't understand much about it and
> am not certain where I should place what you have offered above. But,
> other FVWM users, I am certain, will know.
>
> Demonstration of my ignorance about FVWM:
>
> New machine, format hard drive, install Debian testing. Install
> packages individually as I need them.
>
> Need and download FVWM then an FVWM configuration and remove and tweak
> and try and, get what I like without knowing what I'm doing.
>
> An instance is ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook is never read. Don't know how to
> get it read when the X server starts.

I'm not sure what you downloaded as "an FVWM configuration" into your
home directory. You could start with, for example, the version in
/usr/share/doc/fvwm/examples/system.fvwm2rc.Debian.gz by zcat-ing it
to ~/.fvwm/config which should read ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook (at line 2307
in jessie's version).

> Some upgrades change the /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook, which
> is read. The Debian menu no longer being created or read or whatever.
>
> So just quickly copy my ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook
> to /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and restart fvwm and am working again
> with the Debian menu as I like it.
>
> A task, yes, but simple enough.
>
> It will however, demonstrate that I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe
> something to do with dumbness as I left school at age 14 years of age
> and didn't touch a computer till I was 52 years old as I am a
> peasanto, a man of the land.
>
> So thank you for your help and taking the time to offer it. Though I'm
> unable to do anything with it, I'm certain others will.

I use a very much older configuration file which is a lot smaller,
dating from 2001. I can send you a copy if you'd like to try it.
It has more hooks that can be used to tailor it (I haven't touched
its contents since 2002-04-08) and I can include those as well.
You can then copy or modify whatever you please.

Cheers,
David.