Re: The Debian/Ubuntu/Mint installer was Re: (OT kinda) Newly-discovered TCP flaw

On Saturday 13 August 2016 04:11:19 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 12 August 2016 19:02:15 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Friday 12 August 2016 16:57:09 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > If that works, I will STFU about their broken installer, if not,
> > > that campaign to get it fixed to work with a pre-partitioned disk
> > > will continue.
> >
> > It does in general work with a pre-partitioned disk.  Anyhow it works
> > for me, and many others.  We have still not established why it doesn't
> > work for you; but you have to admit Gene that since the problem
> > appears personal to you, it just MAY be to do with you and not the
> > installer????  I agree it may not, but we haven't established exactly
> > what you do that is different from the rest of us, so no-one can tell.
> >
> > Most of the rest of us are sometimes guilty of PEBKAC or, whisper it
> > low, and heaven forfend, a senior moment or two (or three). ;-)
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Shush now Lisi, you're giving away all my secrets. ;-)  The next time I
> try, I will have the Official guide to properly setting up a static
> network according to the *buntu guru's under my left hand.  Succeeding
> in that, then we follow another similar doc I've printed out to try to
> make a pre-formatted GPT disk usable without giving up and letting the
> installer partition it AND format it to suit itself.

I have done exactly that, without any difficulty at all: partitioned using
Gparted then installed on those partitions.  I rather think that the problem
is that you try to skip the partitioner. You can't do that.  You have to
assign the partitions to where you want them via the partitioner, but you can
tell the partitioner not to do anything or format anything, at least in
Debian.  And I imagine that Ubuntu is the same, anyhow in the alternate
installer.  But you have to tell the installer which partition to use for
what, e.g. sda1 for /home and sda2 for / , and you do that with the
partitioner.

Lisi