Re: Changing background for GDM3 in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults not working

On Sun 07 Aug 2016 at 10:26:55 +0000, ML mail wrote:

> Below is the content of my greeter.gconf-defaults file.

The file which comes with Jessie is named greeter.dconf-defaults. Its
contents are similar to yours. It looks like you have just deleted some
commented lines and renamed it.

> Note here that the banner-message does not appear either but the
> disable-user and disable-restart-buttons both work strangely enough.

I have no trouble with getting a banner-message to appear.

> [org/gnome/desktop/background]
> picture-uri='file:///usr/share/images/desktop-base/bg-login.svg'

Not a system file. One of yours? /usr/local/share is the place for it.

If I uncomment this line and reboot GDM fails to start. Is that what you
meant by "does not work"? Comment out this line and the next one.

> picture-options='zoom'
>
> [org/gnome/login-screen]
> logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png'
> fallback-logo='/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/debian-swirl.png'
> disable-user-list=true
> disable-restart-buttons=true
> banner-message-enable=true
> banner-message-text='Welcome to Debian 8'

This is the relevant section. As a user type

  gsettings set org.gnome.login-screen

and then press the TAB key twice. (TAB completion also works when typing
the command).

Can you see anything relating to a login background in the output of the
command? Neither do I; editing greeter.dconf-defaults is a non-starter.

Open the file

  /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css

Find the section for lockDialogGroup and (as root) change the line

  background: #2e3436 url(noise-texture.png);

  background-color: blue;

and reboot. Alternatively, you could try

  background: url(/path/to/an/image);

  background: <whatever> url(noise-texture.png);

<whatever> could be something like "green" or "#2a6343".

An upgrade to gnome-shell-common would wipe out your changes to the
file. Prevent this with

  dpkg-divert --rename --add /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css

and copy gnome-shell.css.distrib back to gnome-shell.css.

You asked about the existence of a bug; it is in the wiki page you
consulted.