Changing background for GDM3 in /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults not working

Hi,

I have a Debian 8 desktop with GNOME and would like to change the default dark grey background of the GDM3 login screen. For that I just adapted the
etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults file and ran "dpkg-reconfigure gdm3" as documented on the GDM page of wiki.debian.org. Unfortunately that does not work, neither the setting to use a plain color as background.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help

Regards
ML