Re: wicd trouble [Solved]

I found it, and it was all my doing.

Some time ago, I built a script that replaced "ping" with "ping.dist -c 3 $1" (and forgot that I had) so I wouldn't have to type -c 3 all the time. That broke ping for everybody else.

When I looked at the log of one of the static IP fails, I saw wicd trying to verify the AP association by pinging the firewall with "ping -q -c 1 -w 3 192.168.3.1" (the LAN hole on the firewall). It didn't work, of course. But it certainly explains the failures.

The log of a successful DHCP contained this:

2016/07/30 16:09:36 :: not verifying

And that explains why a DHCP config is successful.

Fixing ping made everything all better again -- wicd verifies only on static wireless configs. There's a question in my mind why anyone would do that, but I'm sure it seemed like a good idea to the programmer.

Significant embarrassment on my part, but I sure thank all of you, especially Brian, for a very interesting adventure. I learned much more than I ever wanted to know about wicd and WiFi...

--
Glenn English