Re: wicd trouble -- continued

On Fri 29 Jul 2016 at 16:44:43 -0600, ghe wrote:

> On 07/29/2016 07:22 AM, Brian wrote:
>
> >It obviously wasn't a reasonable routing table. :) The control socket in
> >/run probably disappeared too.
>
> Yes it was. Same as I've been using on that net forever.

Not much thought went into my remark! The routing is torn down and the
device disassociated from the AP because wicd cannot ping the static
gateway, not because the routing is wrong or association hasn't taken
place.

Wicd claims to be verifying access point association when it pings the
gateway; it is doing nothing of the sort. If it wants to know about
association it needs to monitor wpa_supplicant (we did it with wpa_cli
earlier on). A pingable gateway is an indirect test of association and
a direct test of correct routing. One could question the wisdom and
usefulness of destroying a connection based on a negative outcome.

> When I set up a static IP, wicd fills in the net mask and the default router
> automatically. I don't know where it gets the info, but the values and the
> table are the same as the table on a known working, E'net host on the net
> (sbox) built at boot from /e/n/i:

It was worth asking because the netmask and gateway can be edited from
the values provided by wicd. It gets the netmask from the IP address. I
do not know how it determines the gateway.

> route built by wicd on success:
> root@gobook:~# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use  Iface
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0  wlan0
> 192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0  wlan0
>
> route table on the known working box:
> root@gobook:~# ssh sbox route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use  Iface
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0  eth0
> 192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0  eth0
>
> route table during wicd failure:
> root@gobook:~# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use  Iface
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.3.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0  wlan0
> 192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0  wlan0
>
> All the same, except for the interface (which is correct too).
>
> >With a static IP you are providing all the information instead of using
> >discovery. Are you sure you have the correct gateway and netmask?
>
> Yes.

You provide convincing evidence. I think we have shown the supplicant
not to be at fault and wicd to use ifconfig and route correctly. But
ping fails. Have we looked at whether the AP is dropping ICMP packets
or the influence of a firewall or something else?

Anyway, pinging is what causes the connection to fail, so, as doctors
advise, stop doing it. The preferences menu for wicd is what you want.
If that doesn't give us progress I'm out of ideas.

> But there is a difference in wpa_supplicant.conf:

Not significant, I think.