Re: Pursuant to my efforts to remove, and update the remaining :amd64 built packages

On Saturday 04 June 2016 11:11:32 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 04 June 2016 15:45:17 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 June 2016 05:53:17 Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> > > The aptitude on your system is an older version (on sid it is
> > > 0.8.1),
> >
> > Yes, this is wheezy. 6.8.2 here.
>
> Which, according to <aptitude show aptitude> " is also Y2K-compliant,
> non-fattening, naturally cleansing, and housebroken."
>
> Even if it is not succeeding in sorting out the mess!  Isn't that
> reassuring? ;-)
>
> I assume you have read this? (And, of course, marked, learnt and
> inwardly digested, as well as obeyed???)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation
>
> Lisi

Now, having had a nap, & 600mg of gabapentin for the back pain which I
found I didn't take yesterday because it did not get into my weekly
pilltainer refilling Thursday evening, and perused this document, there
is here and there in it, some swahili that a true developer is probably
conversant with, but the whole procedure seems a bit complex to me to
carry out on a 'live' system.  So I believe that I will clean up
the "foreign" amd64 stuff if I can, following JVP's most helpfull
guidelines so that updates can resume.  Failing that, I have good
backups courtesy of amanda so that I can reinstall and restore my data,
like this email corpus of around 26 gigs.  Only this time install the
amd64 install, followed by a backup of this running kernel which will
run the linuxcnc simulator.  To that end, I'll next be collecting that
iso and burning a couple copies so they  will be ready should that path
be needed.

Thank you for the link Lisi, I believe it was helpful in showing me that
at my age, I am finally in over my head, at least until tools can catch
up with the concept and do it automatically on command.  Multiple
reboots expected of course.

Completely separate issue, I just bought a new mouse, which if unused for
a period of time shuts itself completely off!  What a revolting
development that is becoming!

> > > maybe it hasn't the full architecture support.

According to the required versions, it has, but I don't believe the
wrappers to drive it all have all been created.  Likely a WIP.

In the meantime I have purged more than half the files that may be
creating my broken packages hell, but which in synaptic, refuse to
identify themselves in the broken packages list, it is, or was last
night, clean.  So synaptic itself isn't telling me the whole picture
either.

> > > The dpkg output is reliable, I think. Since in the output of the
> > > dpkg command all amd64 packages have an "ii" at the beginning of
> > > the line, it shows that all your amd64 packages are installed
> > > correctly.

What I have remaining are labeled as pi. See my previous post with that
list.

Thanks again Lisi

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)