Re: CUPS under jessie

On Fri 03 Jun 2016 at 16:00:52 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> CUPS seems to be the standard printing SW used by Linux, or at least
> by Debian.  But my CUPS is totally broken and I'd like to get rid of

It is.

> it all and reinstall.  So I ran apt-get purge cups, but there
> are still lots of cups-related files on my system, like in
> /etc/cups/, /usr/lib/cups, /usr/share/cups, and likely other
> places as well.

"cups-related" is vague and unspecific. A clue would be appreciated.

Other packages put files related to printing in those places. cups
deletes its own files in those directories and will also delete the
directories if they are empty.

> How do I make sure that my system is cups-clean, before I reinstall?

To remove the entire printing system (of which cups is only a part):

 apt-get purge cups

 apt-get --purge autoremove

 dpkg -l | grep cups

 apt-get purge <any package with cups in its name>
   (But not libcups2: the outcome will possibly make you unhappy).

 apt-get purge <any non-Debian package you have installed>

Feel free to ask for further advice when you get that far.