Re: Every opportunity taken (Was: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC...)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:46:08 +0000 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday 12 March 2016 07:50:49 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > So. Now I'll bite off my tongue and take my ball with me. I'm off
> > this thread. I can't bear the overall animosity and poking of
> > fun at those who try to put some effort into avoiding binary
> > blobs. It reminds me of the poking at vegetarians "now are snails
> > vegetables or not?". I thought I left that behind in my teens.
>
> And the Everything Free brigade is so pleasant to anyone who wants to
> use binary blobs??  I was nearly lynched for wanting to use something
> from the non-free repository.

If you're referring to the great "should" debate, then this is a pretty
inaccurate description of what happened. I inadvertently used the word
"should" as opposed to "it would be better if" (insert other
non-triggering alternative if it suits), and was promptly jumped by
everyone for being "intolerant", or "pushy", or some shit.

People should (there it is again!) be free to advocate whatever views
they want, as well as pursue whatever course of action they may wish
without all this ridicule from the "open-source" gang- including
avoiding blobs, or thinking that perhaps, just maybe, non-free software
is a *bad thing*.

But people should also be free to tell others how to act- it may come
across as rude, but I don't really care- it is an extension of freedom
of speech, provided there is no direct physical coercion involved.

"Live and let live" is a touch ironic coming from the very people who
launch nit-picky attacks like the ones described in the first place.