Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Saturday 12 March 2016 13:22:11 Brian wrote:

> On Sat 12 Mar 2016 at 08:50:49 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > So. Now I'll bite off my tongue and take my ball with me. I'm off
> > this thread. I can't bear the overall animosity and poking of
> > fun at those who try to put some effort into avoiding binary
> > blobs. It reminds me of the poking at vegetarians "now are snails
> > vegetables or not?". I thought I left that behind in my teens.
>
> Don't you think there has been a very positive aspect to this thread?
> Not just for Jarle Aase's immediate needs but also for present and
> future readers of it.
>
> Misconceptions have been cleared up, the OP knows now why he couldn't
> print and various byways have been explored. Even the binary blob
> issue was treated with robust respect. Of course, people are entitled
> to persue freeness and Jarl Aase did explain his position and had it
> acknowledged. Others couldn't quite accept why someone should want to
> turn down an easy route to printing with proprietary software. That's
> all part of life's rich pattern.
>
> Printing was, of course, the objective. There is a solution on the
> table which fits the desire for freeness. Jarl Aase appears to be the
> only participant in this thread who has access to an AirPrint printer.

My Brother HL3170CDW has a wireless interface, but no clue as to its
usability with airprint, mainly because I have it disabled in its own
menu's and have not explored that route to moving data.

And yes, my router with a DD-WRT reflash CAN do WLAN, but enabling that
gives the whole world driveby access to my home 4 or 5 machine network
unless I setup a different network just for the printer. So I have,
having been attacked via that path, for security reasons, disabled ALL
the WLAN style wireless.  Cat5E all over the place though.

One piece, swinging in the wind between the house and a small shop
building nominally 40 feet away with 2 or 3 computers running smallish
CNC controlled machines in it, and has been swinging in the wind for a
decade & change now, still works fine right now.  And I've no clue why,
it stood up to a measured 112mph wind in 2010 that cost me 4 trees and
most of my fencing and part of the roof, siding and gutters of this
house.  But the cat5 survived.

> Considering the interest which has been shown in his problem  some
> feedback would be useful to have. I hope we haven't lost another ball.
> :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)