Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 13:51 +0000, Brian wrote:
> The printer does Bonjour broadcasting. The broadcasts are detected on
> Debian by avahi-daemon. Applications using the GTK print dialog (for
> example, Iceweasel) can use avahi-daemon directly to display the
> printer
> in the dialog. Non-GTK applications cannot consult avahi-daemon
> directly
> and need cups-browsed and cupsd to get the printer displayed.
>
> I do not have an AirPrint capable printer but have complete faith in
> the
> process working. :)
>

> > I find a lot of information about setting up Cups as an AirPrint
> > server, but nothing about using it as a client.
> This is really about using CUPS with an AirPrint device such as an
> iPAD
> and printing to a non-AirPrint capable printer. The Debian CUPS has
> been
> patched to do this; no setup is required on the server.

Ah I should have known, I'm actually familiar with this part as it
makes it very easy to set up shared Cups printers in Debian (at least
with GNOME).

I guess it's good to know that Apple users will find it easy to use my
printer :)

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson