Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tue 08 Mar 2016 at 14:15:54 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 12:02 +0000, Brian wrote:
> > The MFC-J5720DW supports AirPrint. Depending on which applications
> > you print from you do not require cupsd on the PC, so you could
> > dispense with a PPD and driver.
>
> Do you know if/how this works on Debian?

The printer does Bonjour broadcasting. The broadcasts are detected on
Debian by avahi-daemon. Applications using the GTK print dialog (for
example, Iceweasel) can use avahi-daemon directly to display the printer
in the dialog. Non-GTK applications cannot consult avahi-daemon directly
and need cups-browsed and cupsd to get the printer displayed.

I do not have an AirPrint capable printer but have complete faith in the
process working. :)

> I find a lot of information about setting up Cups as an AirPrint
> server, but nothing about using it as a client.

This is really about using CUPS with an AirPrint device such as an iPAD
and printing to a non-AirPrint capable printer. The Debian CUPS has been
patched to do this; no setup is required on the server.