Re: Constant crash on Debian 8.x in Dell T5610

On 29/12/16 16:03, Julio Cesar Mendez Carvajal wrote:
Dear community; I have recently installed Debian 8.x (last edition stable) in my workstation. I am facing frequent, but TO FREQUENT crashes in the system. As a result, the system restart too frequently. Is there any problem with the system or any other bug that other people have experienced with Debian 8.x. I am planning to switch to KDE, I have read that some user have switch to KDE for new workstations.
Any help will be very helpful!!!

Crashes are unusual. Was the system stable with other versions of Debian or other operating systems?

My checklist:

(1) Basic hardware test:

- Test memory with memtest86+ (found at the boot prompt or on installation media).

- Stress test using mprime (prime95). Some crashes can be caused by stress due to overheating or power supply problems.

(2) Graphics drivers can cause crashes:

- What graphics device and driver are you using?

- If you are using a recent Intel Skylake CPU/IGPU, you are strongly advised to use a recent kernel.

Other culprits are BIOS or ACPI problems. These are very hardware specific.

lshw will list all your hardware.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>