Re: Pendrive computer

On 29/12/16 15:31, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/28/2016 4:07 PM, Joe wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:20:06 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
What I'm looking for is a retail product that would compete with
PDA's of a decade ago.
I think they're called 'smartphones'.
Hardware wise,  if all cell network connectivity was removed - OK.

Remove or do not install a SIM. WiFi will continue to work and can be turned on and off as you please.

It would have to be delivered as a "rooted" device so I could install
only the software that I actually wanted rather than what some marketer
that never met me just knew I desperately needed.

Purchase an Android device designed to be rooted, such as one of the Google Nexus range (developer mode unlocks the bootloader). Install a cruft-free third-party ROM based on AOSP, for example, CyanogenMod. Note that CyanogenMod is currently in transition to LineageOS and many services are down.

If you object to installing Google Play services, do not install Open GApps. In any case, you can use F-Droid:
https://f-droid.org/

I do not know if there are vendors who will deliver a pre-rooted smartphone.

IOW I want Linux, *NOT* Windows ;/

My Nexus 5X is running CyanogenMod 13.0 (Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow") on Linux 3.10.73.

adb, fastboot, and MTP file transfer work fine on Debian unstable. These were sufficient to install and upgrade CyanogenMod.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director