Re: question about aptitudetask-ldxe

On Monday 26 December 2016 06:45:31 Floris wrote:

> >> To run synaptic:
> >> go to root as user pi - su
> >> run synaptic - synaptic
> >>
> >> It does not need pkexec to make it run from root.
> >
> > screen scrape:
> > pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc/configs/lathe $ su
> > Password:
> > root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/linuxcnc/configs/lathe# synaptic
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> >
> > ** (synaptic:2792): WARNING **: Could not open X display
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> > Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
> >
> > (synaptic:2792): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
> >
> > Next?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Not recommended, but it will work
> as the normal user:
> xhost +
> su and run synaptic
> xhost -
>
> Floris
I am logged into it from this machine ATM, and part of opening a terminal
here is an xhost +. So it is in effect at both ends of the cable.

Another screen scrape:

pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc/configs/sheldon-lathe $ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc/configs/sheldon-lathe $ su
Password:
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/linuxcnc/configs/sheldon-lathe# synaptic

** (synaptic:24533): WARNING **: Could not open X display
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(synaptic:24533): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0

Thanks Floris.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)