Re: question about aptitudetask-ldxe

On Sun 25 Dec 2016 at 22:19:27 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings everybody, I hope you have had and enjoyable day;
>
> I am currently logged into a raspi 3b with an armhf jessie-lite install.
>
> That means the only x is enough to export it.  But I know for a fact that
> x can run quite well, I have seen it do so.
>
> But that install was well and truly wrecked because the kernel wasn't
> pinned, and it was a realtime kernel. So the updater overwrote the
> kernel with one that can't do the job and by the time I realized the
> kernel running wasn't the right one, and I could not force the
> re-installation because it couldn't, even as root, overwrite the overlay
> stuff.
>
> So this is a fresh install of jessie-lite for armhf.
>
> Installing lightdm, and telling it to open a default "seat" gets me a
> teeny little, non-movable terminal with just enough mouse to allow  me
> to put keyboard focus on it.  From there I can cd around, run nano, or
> even run the app I built this to run, linuxcnc.
>
> But I need a real "desktop", so despite the fact that aptitude has
> totally destroyed my systems twice with its wild dependency removals,
> its the only thing I have that can show me a list of files.
> So I am sitting with task-lxde-desktop selected, and looking at a
> screenfull of red because its dependencies aren't satisfied.
> I want to install  it, but not as it shows in the view.
>
> If it will install everything marked in red, then it will install a bunch
> of stuff I absolutely do not need for this job, like 500 megabytes of
> libreoffice stuff.
>
> Help please, or tell me how to run synaptic, it won't let the default
> user, pi run it without the ROOT passwd, which something in polkit-1 has
> kittens over because that makes me not the logged in user, or if I
> become root and try to run synaptic, it can't open display 10:.
>
> So aptitude guru's, how do I install lxde so I might have a useable
> desktop, without also installing half a gigabyte of libreoffice I do NOT
> need on a limited resource machine.
>
> If I need to use a libreoffice/openoffice tool, I have half a dozen other
> x86 boxes about the place that can run it just fine.
>
> Many Thanks for any help.

Package: task-lxde-desktop
Depends: tasksel (= 3.31+deb8u1), task-desktop, lightdm, lxde
Recommends: lxtask, lxlauncher, xsane, libreoffice-gtk, synaptic,
iceweasel, libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us,
hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer, gnome-orca

so how about:   # aptitude -R

Cheers,
David.