Re: Why I can not install software on debian easily?

On 12/20/2016 10:25 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Tuesday 20 December 2016 12:25:52 Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/19/2016 5:28 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
[1] Actual case. Thinks she is using Windows because she has
LibreOffice. Certainly not representative of all grandmothers.

I suspect the User Experience is as important as Application
Software.
Do you know which desktop is being used?

I've been recommending Debian to an elderly friend who has
expressed annoyance with current version(s) of Windows. He has
sent me an old laptop with an implied "put up or shut up". I want
to put together a demo system that will be attractive to him. I
currently planning on Mate as the desktop. We live 1000 miles
apart so can't just drive over to show him what I use. Comments? TIA

http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/talks/201211.html
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/talks/201211.pdf

The later is a fascinating read.
And not only because he agrees with me!

Should be required reading for ALL introductory Comp Sci curricula ! !! !!!!!

Initially it was called Debian Adapted for Dad.  The name was changed as it
got more publicity, since it is the desktop layer that Adam's father actually
sees.

It was originally done on KDE 3, because it is so configurable.  And that is
why I use TDE, KDE 3's successor.

Lisi